[CAUT] Hailun soundboards

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 11:02:29 MST 2011

So do you think that the mass target for a given volume of wood always the
same whether it's a low tension small piano or a high tension concert piano?
If not, when would you shoot for a low mass versus a high mass panel?  For
those actually making panels, are there visual clues to what the mass is
likely to be such that one could at least manufacture a board with
consistent mass through the flitches (if that's important)?  In a rib
crowned type of system is the issue mass in specific areas of the board or
is it the overall mass, the overall weight of the assembly?  Finally, if you
were building panels (or ordering them) what process would you use to
identify the mass of either the panel overall or the flitches from which
they are made and how would you define the target?

I realize it's a lot of questions and the answers to these questions might
be speculative but I'd be curious to hear your speculations if for nothing
else as a guide for how to think about it on future projects.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com