[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:30:56 MST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 8:45 AM, David Love wrote:

>  Let it dry overnight and go back and play each note a few times
> while using the una corda pedal shifting back and forth which
> sometimes breaks up the crustiness that forms on the top.  Take a
> piece of 120 sandpaper and just break the edge on the left side of
> the hammer where the lacquer tends to collect and build a nice
> crusty ridge that will ping with una corda engagements sometimes.
> Then go in with a through the string voicing tool and check single
> string voicing to smooth over any unwanted standouts in any group of
> unisons.

I prefer the method taught at the factory: after soaking and allowing
to dry, lightly sand all hammer crowns, 120 or so paper, removing
minimal felt but some. This takes away the glassy attack of the
surface lacquer, and lets you hear whether you have enough power
everywhere. If not, relacquer where needed, and repeat the scuff
sanding, check again. Possibly a third application here and there.
	Voicing procedure starts with aligned hammers, marked for string
grooves. Una corda position is voiced first, as it will affect the
rest position to some extent. Then voice for rest position, single
needle addressing each string contact, moving down the shoulder on
each side as needed.
	But I think you need to start by being certain of the foundation:
travel, square of hammers, reasonable mating to start with. These
hammers were prehung as I recall, and you (Paul) said they needed next
to no traveling. That raised my eyebrows, as it was contrary to my
experience. The travel may look fair by the standard method, but doing
it upside down may (will) reveal whole sections moving to one or other
side, often a whole lot. ANd the square of the hammers on the shanks
(burning) has needed extensive correction in my experience: they are
pretty parallel, but whole sections leaning a LOT, more than I really
want to burn.
	If you don't have a solid foundation of good travel and square, you
are going to lose a lot of power. Mating is another point where you
will lose a lot of power if it is not precise. When any or all of
these three factors are chaotic (not consistent throughout, not
precise), you end up with a lot of the sort of noises that you think
you need to needle out. You do so, and you find that the power is even
less, the tone is worse, yadda, yadda.
	For squaring hammers, I am going to attach a couple photos of my
current procedure, which I like a lot. Raise every other hammer to
strike position. Center each of the raised hammers between its
neighbors _at the shank center_. (Flange spacing tool, screwdriver,
whatever). Let them fall back. Burn to center the crowns between their
two neighbors. Now repeat the procedure with the other half of the
hammers. Try it, you'll like it! (Thanks to Ed Sutton for the every
other hammer suggestion)
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu