[CAUT] clavichord

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Fri Feb 11 14:35:40 MST 2011

Sure. There's a 1763 Kinzing clav with divided pantalon stop at the Met
Museum along with any number of damperless square pianos and early squares
with damper lifters--not necessarily crude by any means. It's a mistake to
think of early pianos as crude; some are highly sophisticated instruments by
any standard, starting with Cristofori's.
BTW the pantalon tangets maintain strong, not barely positive contact. If
you're interested, there's an active clavichord list you can join on Yahoo.
Laurence