[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Fri Feb 11 13:55:40 MST 2011

Paul W-

You may recall I have posted with similar issues over the past several
weeks, having installed factory-hung S&S hammers on a 1970 D.  However, I
have relatively little experience with installing new hammers of any kind,
so I really think it is my lack of experience and understanding of these
hammers and how to work with them that is the problem.

Thanks to Nick Gravagne for instructing that multiple applications of
lacquer might be required.  A second, full application has gotten me a lot
closer to where I want to be, although I do plan a third application in the
top two sections.  Yesterday we had a recital using the D, and it started to
sing, hints of real presence.  Far from finished, but I am beginning to
understand the importance of getting enough lacquer solids into the hammer,
particularly under the crown and high shoulders.  You can¹t be afraid.  I
wanted to avoid having to get rid of that nasty, glassy sound, but I think
you oftentimes have to go there first to get to the beauty in these hammers.
I must say, yesterday I started to hear that Steinway sound I love so much,
so I will be going over the top two sections one more time when there¹s a
window of time.  A filing, which definitely removed felt, even over the
crown, also helped the focus/presence.

For me, this is a terrific, if frustrating and fearul, learning process.
There is stress associated with working on a piano that has to be playable
all the time, and here I am still learning my way.  But at this point I
don¹t have any other options for learning at this level, other than ³to do.²
So I have jumped in, both feet, having done my best to do my homework.

Thanks to Fred Sturm/Ed Sutton for the burning technique ‹ I am looking
forward to trying that.

Good luck, Paul.  Please keep us updated.

Paul M
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician