[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:49:05 MST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:06 PM, David Love wrote:

> Agreed that he needs to have things square and mated enough to get a
> good sense of the tonal potential.  But I wasn’t under the
> impression that was a question mark in this case.

One person's certainty that things have been done well may not
correspond to another's. I harp on these things because I am convinced
(from checking many, many instruments, often rebuilt and prepped by
quality shops from both coasts and in between, or new from dealers)
that most people don't pay enough attention to them, and don't have an
adequate technique to attend to them in the precise way they require.
So they go about blaming other factors for the shortcomings of the
instrument. And more often than not, if it is a customer's instrument
and I have the opportunity to correct them, I find that most of those
shortcomings go away, not just in my eyes and ears, but in those of
the customer. (Often there is voicing as well, but it is after these
things have been refined).

Travel/square/mating may or may not be factors in this case. I
wouldn't know without pulling the action and checking myself. So as a
member of a long distance list, I point out things that nobody else is
talking about. Of course, it _could_ be "defective hammers" (I doubt
it), could be something to do with the structure of the instrument
(quite possible), could be expectations that the particular instrument
won't meet. All we can do at a distance is give our best guess. My
point is that until you are absolutely positive you have laid this
foundation well, all other speculation is premature.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel