[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sat Feb 12 17:57:18 MST 2011

Hi, Dale,

At 04:39 PM 2/12/2011, you wrote:
>I'll have to read that and see how come you are
>more successful with this than I have been.... which is mostly not at all.

I've not read Fred's article but can relate that
for a long time I've very successfully used a
variation of what he describes.  Much has to do
with what was used to do the hardening, and, the
outcome also seems to be affected by what carrier
is used for flushing out the hardening compound.

If someone has used "plastic", you are kind of
stuck with acetone, and that take different
handling; and, usually, a much longer period of
time to be effective.  While I prefer to flush
out lacquer and lacquer sanding sealer with
lacquer thinner, acetone will work.  In either
case, the important piece (for me) has been to be
patient and to let the solvent/carrier do it's
work...perhaps several times, especially if
plastic has been used as the hardening agent.

Since this is kind of cumulatively
time-consuming, it's appropriate to do an
analysis of which is going to be more
cost-effective, going through some variation of
the above process, or simply replacing the hammers and starting over.

Best.

Horace