[CAUT] NY hammers/ Hamburg hammers

Ward & Probst, Inc wardprobst at wardprobst.com
Sat Feb 12 20:04:34 MST 2011

Absolutely no disagreement here in theory: concert techs should be able to
deal with hot or cold press hammers, the two basic schools of hammer making
respond to different techniques.

My practical experience following some highly regarded concert techs, was
they seemed to apply what they knew to an instrument more often than
figuring out what it needed. Sometimes it didn't work out so good.

One thing you learn early living on the edge of the Staked Plains is that
tornados always blow from southwest to northeast- except when they don't.
It's good to have a Plan B and, as the locals refer to it, a Son of B. It
really helps to figure out which way the wind is blowing. It's even better
if you know what to do before the tornado hits.

Down in the bar ditch,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Registered Piano Technician