[CAUT] Bum set of NY hammers, I'm afraid

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Feb 13 11:45:24 MST 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 1:05 AM, Horace Greeley wrote:

> As a rule of thumb, just think about how long it takes for whatever
> hardener to go into suspension to begin with.

But that period of time depends on the condition of the hardener when
it was dissolved: was it a solid block (think key top)? was it powder?
It would go into suspension pretty quickly as a powder, or as very
thin flakes. I don't know about actual penetration of the solids into
the interior of the fibers, but thinking about the outside, it is a
thin film on each fiber, plus some build up at the points where fibers
meet. Probably quite a bit of build up if the hammers are rocks that
have been over-lacquered, but still I don't think over night is needed
in general, unless it is a really extreme case, at which point it may
be pretty likely the hammers need to be replaced.
	Anyway, that is how my thinking goes. I can't say I have dealt with
many, many sets of hammers this way, only a few. But I have been
successful so far.
	Why do you stand the hammers on their tails, not on the felt?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them." Coco
Chanel