[CAUT] The high cost of trying to save money (was: NY hammers/ Hamburg ha...

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Feb 13 18:07:53 MST 2011

THANKS! for the stories!  I have a client who is making me tear my hair out, these stories make me think, "Well, it could be worse!"

 This woman has just retired from teaching school and has inherited her mother's piano!  (a 1940's something Wurlitzer spinet in bad shape).  She is taking in students to supplement her retirement income.   She has decided she wants it "rebuilt, pinblock and all"  (she hasn't heard the price yet).

She is trying to break into high society in the town she lives in and complains about how she has to "kiss.........".    She had the music teacher's association to her home last week--the house is decorated to the n'th degree....... then there is the Wurly   :-(

She had me tune the piano in the church library for her recital in April.  It's a monster of an old upright, but did tune at pitch.   But sustain pedal is a disaster, amongst other things, which I did point out to her--"they're just beginners".     I will have to go back to completely restore the sustain pedal.  Today she played the piano after church--apparently she had never played it before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  In spite of everything I told her about it.  Now she is in a state of panic-- about the pedal.

She is so clueless.............I don't remember ever having such a steep teaching curve ahead.

Diane Hofstetter