[CAUT] NY hammers/ Hamburg hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 19:11:18 MST 2011

Hi Bob
  Maybe I miss this, but what is the hammer flange height?  Historically It seems to be 145 mm off the keybed.
 I have restored three Ds from the late 1920s early to mid 30s that have measured 142 mm hammer flange center pin heights. String heights were not unusual. I raised the stack 3 mm on each one resulting in a more usual 3 1/4 bass bore and 2 ish tenor treble. I bore for each sections requirements, hence the ish. Other wise my bore would have been way out of spec, like 3 & 3/8 th and 2 & 1/8 th, plus required longer overall length adding more hammer weight.  The geometry worked out well.
  FWIW, and In my opinion, factory bored hammers as opposed to custom bored hammers is often time wishful thinking. Especially, since the string plane height in general seems to be unreliable from age to age and the agraffe section string plane cannot be depended on as it often rises from note 21  to 50 ish often being 3 mm higher. It is also generally higher than the upper two capo sections. All this to say that one can end up with an action that has grossly under or over centering hammers, inconsistent geometry, regulation etc. as a result.
 The short story is I don't depend on them being at some kind of close infield standard.  Inside the ballpark....maybe, but certainly in my experience something quoted as a N.Y factory standard is not something I can depend on in close tolerance work.  Know what I mean?
 Also I am not being overly critical just explaining what I find every day in my real world and how our shop deals with it.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration
Ronsen Piano hammers