[CAUT] Fly parts; was NY hammers/ Hamburg hammers

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 07:15:00 MST 2011

 Dale writes:
>>  I recently took 3 mm off the bass cheekblock of a 1935 D to get the hammers correctly positioned under the strings. Key ends under the under lifters etc. That required moving the blocks locating dowels, hold down screw hole and key slip screw and bending the brass fall board in a bit to keep the fall closing with out rubbing.

Wow, that is a lot of work.  I had to move an action to the bass by 5 mm more than the block would allow, so I cut off the side facing the bottom A,  leaving the  dowels and screw holes alone..  All I needed to do was bevel the edge, recut the mortise for the guide and spray some black lacquer.  It seemed easier than shifting the block.

Regards,
Ed Foote