[CAUT] Rinsing lacquer from hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 20:43:48 MST 2011

A tech from this area (Roy Foreman) had a procedure of adding hardener to
hammers which involved first dipping the hammers into a lacquer bath and
then putting them on a centrifuge of sorts which spun the excess liquid out
of the hammer.  It left the hammers some more dense but still with some
resilience and they never really got to that point where you couldn't
penetrate the hammer with needles.  I don't know what strength solution he
used but it worked fairly well.  Given the structure of the fibers that we
see here in these various photographs one wonders whether this method tended
to leave the bulk of the solids content within the fiber and remove the
residual content that might collect outside the fibers.  BTW he tended to
use Ronsen Bacon felt hammers almost exclusively for this procedure, as I
recall, but perhaps Ray can comment if he's reading this.  I know they were
definitely Ronsen though this was some time ago and I'm not sure what felt
was being used at that time.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com