[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 15 10:19:51 MST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 6:11 PM, David Love wrote:

> Yes, we have been there and I think I knew what you were getting
> at.  At some risk I think there is a sound.  It can vary some of
> course, but I would characterize it generally as open and deriving
> from a soundboard assembly that leans to the lighter side.   The
> rebuilds that I hear that really differ are not necessarily those
> that employ different bellying methods (cc versus RC&S) but those
> that vary the overall stiffness of the assembly by use large cutoff
> bars, heavier rib scales, steeper grain angles and/or scale changes
> which collectively tend to produce a less free and tighter sound.
> Not a bad sound but a more controlled one in which the upper end
> (fff) is more restricted.  Now I think I better bow out and let the
> retort’s fly.

	I think these comments are spot on. I don't have the experience to be
able to tell what the soundboard changes do in isolation, as the
"Frankensteinways" I have played have had additional changes as well,
but the overall effect has been, for those I have played, as you
describe. Calling it a more controlled sound with a more restricted
high end is a good way to put it. As a pianist, it is as if you go
from a race car to a luxury sedan. Maybe more comfortable and
controllable, but less exciting and with less possibility of sudden
change or big contrast.
	But I think you have to include a number of other factors in the so-
called "Steinway sound" (maybe the late 20th century Steinway sound is
more precise): characteristic front and back duplex; relatively high
inharmonicity from the scale; lacquered hammers that are on the heavy
side. All these together with the fairly light CC board tend to favor
high partials at attack, depending how the voicing is set up. And that
is where I hear a more or less characteristic sound that contrasts
with other makes and models.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu