[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:22:24 MST 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 12:20 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

>  Logically to identify a uniquely Steinway D sound (even a 1990s NY
> D sound) you'd have to show that no other piano's tonal
> characteristics overlap with the D's. But it can be very hard to
> identify different manufacturers' pianos by ear in a blind test
> because parameters overlap. I've demonstrated this for discerning
> listeners, and you'd be surprised how few can tell a Steinway from a
> Bechstein or Yamaha, much less a NY D from a Hamburg, under
> controlled conditions.

	No doubt this is correct, and it is true that individual variance
between pianos of any given manufacturer/model can be larger than
differences between manufacturer/models, especially when preparation
by various technicians and performance by various pianists is factored
in. In the concert grand arena, there is a tendency to convergence
that makes this even less clear, mostly from other manufacturers
emulating at least some Steinway characteristics (for instance,
virtually everyone now has front and back duplex).
	But there _are_ some elements that are clearly different, and tend
toward an overall difference in sound and response. Scale is one,
where the Steinway scale demands considerably more stretch than many
other brands (reaching a difference, with similar parameters for
choosing octave size, of 20 cents or more at C8. This has an effect on
the overall sound, though in itself it is probably too subtle for the
average listener to hear. Lacquer hammers is another, though most
experienced high level techs can make that difference disappear for
practical purposes (except in the ability to alter tone color back and
forth in a short period of time - but that is more of a practical
matter).
	In any case, my last post was aimed at one specific distinction,
between NY Steinway original equipment and design, and a general array
of rebuilding/remanufacture/redesign standards and concepts that are
pretty well established among at least a small group of rebuilders,
and have been expressed, argued and explained at great length and in
great detail on this list and pianotech over the years. Here, the
distinction is more clear, as a number of factors are changed. In the
extreme case, the soundboard is rib crowned with stiffer ribs and with
a bass cutoff relatively close to the bridge; duplex is removed in
favor of a lower angle and shorter front segment; rescaling is done;
hammers are cold pressed without lacquer. These differences are in
marked contrast to Steinway design, especially when all put together,
and the difference in sound and response is pretty clear.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu