[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 17 11:44:13 MST 2011

I think we're really getting somewhere here. I'd like to offer an
alternative language, or perhaps focus, for our work. I have found it
very helpful to accept the inherent sound that the builder, or
rebuilder, has "put into the piano". Helpful to me as I do not make or
install soundboards, rims, plates, etc. (Well, sometimes the plate
comes out...) What I focus on in my work is maximizing the range of
the piano and maximizing access to that range. I have found that if I
extend the access--the musical range--of the piano as much as I can,
then the various players that come to it can usually find what they
want and at the very least will accept the instrument. Once in a while
they even grin. ! And some are really quite explicit in that they want
the largest range possible, even if the piano presents maybe not so
well to a less-capable player. The level of control that some
professionals have is extraordinary.

This is most applicable, obviously, to pianos that are regularly
played by more than one person. But even in the single player/owner
situation, most (I do mean most, here!) of the players that I have
worked with like having a more responsive instrument--one with a
bigger palette and better access to it. So I focus on that. And almost
always get good responses for the effort.

IMHO, this is at least part of what brings the artists back to the
Steinway time and again. It tends towards the largest palette. It has
"a sound" only in the sense that so much is possible. So perhaps
thinking about and discussing the "range" of the piano would lead us
in more interesting directions, and be more helpful in actually
working on the instruments. I've had surprisingly good experiences
with very limited instruments when the player gets a lot more than he
or she expected.

And it has been my experience that it is nearly impossible to separate
"touch" from "voice". They are hopelessly intertwined. The player puts
effort into the piano and wants a response from it. The best smiles
come when the response is better than what they expected.

Doug Wood

Doug Wood
Piano Technician
School of Music