[CAUT] Steinway selection

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 15:19:34 MST 2011

It's effective but it sure can be misleading.  Since Steinway hammers are so
lacquer dependent and the treatment is somewhat random, you can walk away
from a piano with an otherwise "perfect" belly thinking that it is lifeless
because the hammer was not prepped or not prepped properly and latch onto
one that seems to have more projection only to find that it quickly becomes
edgy, strident or with more whump than whine once the hammer firms up some.
Some manufacturers (or dealers) do a better job than others in the prep work
that at least gives you a better chance to know what's really there just
sitting down at the bench.  With others, and I think Steinway tends to fall
into this group, you almost have to work on the piano to really feel
confident about what you're going to get--and then hope it stays there, but
that's another issue.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com