[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 18:30:11 MST 2011

  Double dog dittos Doug. Well said. I've said similar things but nobody listens to me. :)
   I here so many guys  curse lacquer and nary a dismal word about a mind numbing  200 needle strokes a hammer or another step towards carpal  tunnel syndrome.
  The intelligent judicious use of thin solutions is acceptable and workable. It is the over use and unintelligent applications od solutions into hammers which IMO should possibly be declared defective from the git go that mystifies me.  I think we need  some classes on the subject and stop ignoring it like its the stepchild of voicing.
  It is a tool and the misuse of tools often leads to failure or injury.
 FWIW.  I probe each set of hammers with a no 6 needle to check for an adequate density whether it be Hot pressed, or luke warm pressed,  before I ever commit to them.
 Sent many sets of each type back if they failed the test. Its too much work and its too important to be successful and foolish to risk failure with the clients money

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com

Doug wood

To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

OK, while I'm on a roll here. I guess I really don't see that the variance in need for lacquer is really all that different from the variance in need for deep shoulder needling on the hard-pressed hammers. I've heard reports from 20 to 200 blows in each shoulder, depending on source and hammer set. ?? I realize that I'm speaking from mostly ignorance here, as most of my work involves lacquered hammers. But is it really so different that one set of hammers will be fine with 2 or 3 visits with the lacquer, and another require 7 or 8?

Doug

Doug Wood
Piano Technician
School of Music