[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Brent Fischer brent.fischer at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 21:16:01 MST 2011

Hey Fred,  Yours and David's comments are valid and I would like to add my opinionhere about " unexpected side effects" in the institutional setting. I thinkaccountability for the future of the institution's inventory is important and theprobability is high that a Steinway will be in the main hall that you have caredfor up to your retirement will be the tonal legacy you leave for the next guy or gal. When the the new prof is hired just before you leave and he or she just happensto be a Steinway artist have you left a reputable piano in your wake that isdefendable?  We need re-designers pushing the envelope, they're smarterthan I am and I do listen carefully to want they have to say, however I thinkinstitutions need a certain amount of tonal continuity that lines up with thegeneral consensus.  I inherited an older re-designed Steinway D that sitsin a corner, never used and I am going to re-finish it in green and put aJohn Deere decal on the side
 to encourage our wonderful farm communityto attend more concerts.