[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 18:07:30 MST 2011

Sorry, I meant to add this.  The best performance pianos are those build
pretty close to the edge in terms of expressive power and range.  But
building things close to the edge has certain risks both in terms of
immediate failure and failure in the short term.  For independent rebuilders
who are producing performance pianos the choice (assuming they know how to
get there at all) is how close to the edge.  It's understandable that they
would want to back away enough to insure that they don't cross the line and
end up with something that fails.  It's not always clear when you are
building the beast just where that line is.  But you can back away too far,
play it too safe and end up with something that's just not that exciting,
even dull.  In my view, that's the danger of these designs that seek
ultimate control.  In spite of their apparent innovation, they exist too far
from the edge.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com