[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 22:52:53 MST 2011

I'm not a wood technologist either and so I really don't know the answer to the question about kiln drying versus air drying and have to rely on those who know a lot more than I do.  So far I'm not convinced about a big difference there.  One of my suspicions about how the newer bellies age (with compression boards) verses the older ones doesn't lie in the area of how the wood is seasoned but in the advent of full diphragmization.  Speaking of redesign, some of it happened before all this recent talk and apropos to the discussion generally, I'm not sure those redesigns were a better thing (or that one anyway) and might even, one could argue, have contributed to a new wave of redesigns to handle the failures of the *original* redesigns.

Better quit now, starting to feel like Rumsfeld with the known unknowns.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com