[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sat Feb 19 00:40:36 MST 2011

Hi, Del,

At 10:34 PM 2/18/2011, you wrote:
>Alluded to by whom?

I'm not sure by whom else, but I'm pretty sure that I've written
about this before.  If not here, then maybe on pianotech.

In any event, the very consistent story told over time was that in
"the old days", there was no hardener used, rather ironing, shaping
and needles.  Fairly soon, though...so the story goes...the concert
pianos (and later the factory) started using varnish and/or shellac
(depending on what was handy) for hardening.  This changed to lacquer
when the factory dropped varnish finishes; and then later changed to
automotive lacquer when the finish department discovered that there
was a higher level of solids in that than they could buy ready-mixed
for wood finish.  Since my experience over time has generally born
out those changes.

Also, while I can't find it at the moment, someone (Doug Wood) was
asking about the use of hardener in the basement?  I'm pretty sure
that was started well before WWII.  Some form of hardener is pretty
clearly in evidence, especially in some of Rachmaninoff's and Josef
Hofmann's recordings.  Post WWII, hardening in both the basement and
factory were very common, with several different "standard"
procedures in use for a number of years.  The first real change, per
se, came with the mutation to all the hardener going through the
crown...which fails on it's premise, but that's a long
discussion.  We can talk about it during the concert service sections
at the convention if anyone is interested.

Best.

Horace