[CAUT] Dampp_Chaser Fill Tube Location

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Feb 19 17:49:43 MST 2011

Keith -
I had wondered why you didn't post this to the CAUT list initially,
since it was an institutional application.  I'm assuming everyone
here is gone for the weekend, or intercession, but I'll tell you what
I think.

First: although it may be a practice room, the image is still
unsettling.  It seems one thing to drill extra holes underneath the
piano,; another to do this.  Second: how much time can it really
save?  If you the hose along the bottom edge with 1/2 clamps, it
takes, literally, 3 seconds, or less, to get the hose out.  On the
other hand, you're still having to stand there as the water is
delivered - glub glub glub - through the hose.  If you're going to
start mounting things to the side of the piano, why not attach
a  reservoir into which you can quickly deliver the prescribed amount
(using something faster than the watering can) and proceed on to the
next piano, while the water takes its time getting from reservoir to tank.

And then there's this:  given the often aggressively limited space of
the average practice room, a few coat hooks would seem a worthy amenity.

In any case, I'm always curious about filling techniques for
institutions.  Thanks for the photo.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY