[CAUT] saving hammers

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sun Feb 20 10:45:19 MST 2011

Laury and Dale,

I've often left original parts on note #1 and #88
on older pianos with completely original parts
thinking it may be of value to someone most
likely long after I'm gone.  I absolutely agree
with you that this is important... not sure about
leaving middle C in there....

Dale, as for felt being grabby... try rubbing the
voicing needle on the side corner of your
nose.... just a little of that natural grease
will make all the difference. As for those old
soft hammers sounding sweet I suspect they are
very light by today's standard, in which case
being very soft would produce a sweet tone the
likes of which many of us in this modern age have
never known or even had the chance to experience
on so called "modern" pianos.   Such light hammer
weight surely does not drive out the full
vibrational potential of the soundboard that
modern hammers exploit so fully.   Light soft
cold pressed hammers still have valid
applications in small rooms or salons... not
concert halls.  I think we've lost touch a little
bit with the pianissimo colors that are possible
even with modern weight hammers... Tone range can
be expanded by extending the pianiissimo ranges
as well and for this I absolutely live by the
Alfred Dolge guidelines:

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain
a solid, firm foundation, graduating in softness
and elasticity toward the top surface, which
latter has to be silky and elastic in order to
produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing,
but with sufficient resistance  back of it to
permit the hard blow of fortissimo playing."
Alfred Dolge - Pianos and Their Makers

If we ever feel lost in this modern world we can
always find ourselves through context to the
past.  Understanding and knowing historically how
pianos evolved always brings us to center.   Very
important stuff!

thanks Laury,

David Stanwood