[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 20 13:19:40 MST 2011

Each year at NAMM I discover how much the world is not what it would be if I
were in charge.
Gradually I am learning that it is what it is, and that I need to respect
that what exists is at least able to exist.

People (including people in power at colleges) say many ignorant things
about pianos, but years ago I realized that if everybody dumber than me got
as smart as me, I'd be at the bottom percentile, not a thought that pleases
me. People mostly repeat what they were told, so change is usually slow and
capricious.

Meanwhile, if you want to see pianos made according to more current
technology, go to Indonesia and visit the Samick plant. They are already
making bellies and cases (now called "tone bodies") for increasingly
prestigious-named companies (who are rather secretive about it...wonder
why?). And they own one third of Steinway.

By the way, placebos do work, by reducing the stress hormones in the brain.
What makes a placebo work better? Bigger, more colorful, more expensive,
used by somebody famous, just plain belief, everybody knows it's good. These
are from double-blind tests of sugar pills. Do you suppose it doesn't apply
to pianists, piano dealers, and piano technicians? Truth is our brains can't
keep up, and we got no choice but to keep huffing or drop out.

Let me know when the world is fixed.
Meanwhile, let me know if I'm being human, more or less.

Ed Sutton