[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sun Feb 20 14:30:11 MST 2011

Most of the discussion has centered on large concert grands with the
assumption that one size fits all.  This makes me wonder whether
we've lost sight of the true salon piano.  Smaller venues would have
put different demands on piano builders of the early 20th century.
There would not have been as great a need for hard, driving hammers.
Perhaps, therefore, lighter, unlacquered hammers and a different
geometry would have worked great then and should be (or could be) the
chosen route for smaller pianos today.  Several years ago there was a
rush toward very light hammers and a geometry to match.  That seems
to have fallen out of fashion because that design didn't work very
well on big pianos in large venues.  How did that choice work on
smaller pianos?  Much has been said about the virtue of choice and
diversity, so perhaps we shouldn't put all of our eggs in one design
basket.  Perhaps we could rediscover the unvarnished (unlacquered)
Steinway sound of old, recreated in the smaller salons of the world.
Especially now when we have so many hammer  and parts choices.

Richard West