[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 14:33:53 MST 2011

 Hi Jeannie
 Good question. Easier to demonstrate than write about to be sure.
   Most of my experience comes from 2 1/2 decades of trying to get at the heart of understanding hammers by pushing on that and the voicing envelope. It pushed me, into rebuilding. I hate the answer, you know,... its by experience, and, well that doesn't help anybody much,... does it? But,.... The truth is we learn by doing. By being inquisitive. That is where it began for me.

During and after my time spent teaching" Everyday voicing" with Bob Davis I had been looking for a hammer that could produce a sound I liked with out hours of acupuncture . Actually it wasn't that needling was a bad thing in ityself, but it did not give me the sustain and the dark side of tone easily. And the noise always came back. Its true, many hammers have gotten better overall (some not) and as Ed S. says, "the world is changing", so cast nothing written here by me in stone. Perhaps a guide post only

  I have had extensive on experience with both the Ronsen hammer and the Isaac hammer. Having sold both, first, the Isaac in the early 1990s, and since have collaborated, taught and done R&D with Ray at Ronsen for about 12 years.  For me these 2 hammers have been my learning ground and my weapon of choice all though I haven't used the Isaacs in 15 years.  Sorry...all that to say I have literally handled hundred of set of hammers, probing them,  using them, voicing and comparing the results. After while I would feel a certain density that I learned was workable, or not.
 The hammer that works the best in my book have a feel that I call  uniform density or stiffness. By that I mean, when I test them by inserting a needle in the shoulders, crown or through the cut side, the stiffness, is fairly even. It takes a resistive force but the needle goes in all the way to the molding or thru the side and isn't blocked by overly dense felt near the top of the molding.

 Nice resistance going in and a needle that doesn't pop back out when with drawing it.  This is a workable hammer.  The other tool I use is my Flex-o-meter which actually a hand held press which  allows your hand to squeeze the hammer, showing its motion and also giving feedback in a very tactile way as to its strength & compressibility. Many have heard about this device before and have seen it in class with Ray.
  I wish I could shout this. Here goes....In most cases....IT DOESN'T' TAKE A HARD HAMMER/ FELT TO PRODUCE TONE. I feel better now.

 But the best test for me is the needle test. Beyond that, hammer sampling is the best wisdom, and David Love has really been a proponent of this. It makes perfect sense considering the varying stiffness of s.board systems and differing stiffness of many brands of hammers. For example. What type of hammer would best serve in an old vintage board with the little crown and minimum down bearing? The petrified felt brand or the cotton ball brand? Ok, neither but on a stiffness scale of 1 to 10. I'll take a 6 5 or 6 ish not a 8 or 9ish. Make sense?
  Try sample hammers in a piano before committing to them. I've made this mistake loads of times.
   The entire concept is summed up this way.

 The inherent stiffness of a soundboard system needs to be matched by a hammer set thats stiffness gradient ellicits the best overall sound (however you determine that)  with out massive amounts of voicing.
 And.... No stiffness gradient present in any set of hammers, will precisely match each note on any piano but voicing will be minimal when the set of hammers more closely matches the soundboard systems stiffness.  If we want to hit the bulls eye,  aim at the bulls eye not the target.
  Sorry for the long answer. I find it hard to write this stuff clearly
  Hope it helps.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration