[CAUT] saving hammers

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 14:57:09 MST 2011

"I would like to suggest that when a set of interesting hammers is
replaced, a representative sample (at least highest and lowest and middle C,
preferably more) be saved, identified as to source and characteristics, and sent
to a museum where they can be preserved for future study. The loss of old
hammers (and other parts) seriously impedes understanding of historical
voicing  trends. Old, worn-out hammers might seem like junk, but such junk from
the 19th  century and earlier offers priceless tangible evidence, for
example as a  guide to replication.
Thank you for considering this effort.
Laurence"

Thank you, Laurence.  I know you've done your share of this, in  your many
years at the Metropolitan Museum.

This is exactly the kind of thing I've been advocating for several years
within the PTG, since our colleague Ken Eschete got hold of me and set me on
this path.  I've begun this with the Period Piano Center
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org/) , we've received  donations or purchased
such artifacts from the early Steinway period - piano  parts plus a few
complete pianos.  I will exhibit at WESTPAC with  an 1866 Erard Vertical in
original condition, fully functional, original wire  with extraordinary period
sound.   I usually travel to exhibit and  teach with sample hammers from an
1878 Steinway, and have  other examples.

I wish there were existing museum resources dedicated to  archiving,
cataloging and exhibiting piano technology  artifacts.   I have not been able to
identify which museums might  be willing to accept and catalog such
artifacts.  The PTG  Foundation's Jack Wyatt Museum has not established any formal
guidelines beyond Jack's personal choices (very interesting and informed
ones),  and his repeated statement that the museum is "by piano technicians, for
piano  technicians."   The Museum is, to a great extent, currently the
result of his huge personal investment of time and resources.   The  future
depends on you.  I encourage PTG members to write the  Foundation with clear
ideas, you can write any or all board members (the  current President is Jim
Birch and you can write him at _jimbirch at aol.com_ (mailto:jimbirch at aol.com)
or you can write the  board at _ptgf.board at ptg.org_
(mailto:ptgf.board at ptg.org) .   It has been  my belief that a museum relating to the PTG should
concentrate on archives and  artifacts relevant to the history of piano
technology (as distinguished from the  history of piano service, obviously relevant
to a PTG museum also).   There is no "history of piano technology" museum
anywhere that I know of.   And today an important component would be digital
archives and an online,  uploadable database, in order to be able to obtain
and make available the  greatest amount of information.

This is actually a huge undertaking, requiring human resources as well as
the appropriate facilities.  My idea has been to establish the Period  Piano
Center (dedicated to the above goals) and a related "Piano Historical
Society" which requires a small annual membership fee.  All members  can
contribute and benefit from the digital database (there should be a limited  public
web interface too), and the Society will have board representation on the
Period Piano Center.  The first is getting off the ground now, the latter
is still in the talking stages.

There are two great needs.  One is to have a real museum.  A real  museum
actually has the resources, trained personnel, physical plant designed  for
museum needs, etc....The other is for a museum to be dedicated to piano
technology.

Finally, a great value of such a museum is the centralizing of knowledge
and resources in piano technology.  At various times in the history of the
PTG Foundation, it has had different missions (I just reviewed and  organized
the documents at the HO in January).  It has encouraged and  published
books on both piano technology as well as  piano history.   Clearly designers of
the pianos of the present  and future have one foot planted in a knowledge
of the past;   If the  resources are there, the PTGF can promote new
publication and design, as  well.  I know of two fully qualified individuals who
want to publish a  guide to building a piano in a small facility, one of whom
is actually 100 pages  into the writing, the other hasn't begun but I know
could pull it off.   Collective resources through Foundation donations could
help make these kinds  of projects come to fruition.

My own  particular vision of the PTG Foundation is that it should exist to
provide the  largest financial base possible for the various piano
technology related  activities beneficial to piano technicians.   It should provide
resources for research, writing and historical study.  It should support a
museum.  It should promote and support training and education in piano
technology. And if it followed the lead of some other trade  association
foundations, it could even aid the PTG in strategic  planning.

For  all this to take place, the first goal should be to develop sources of
 significant financial revenue.  If the vision is inclusive, the financial
income must be equal to the need.  If you want to archive hammers, you want
 to archive documents, soundboards.....and pianos.   Significant,  climate
controlled storage is needed.

I've  begun in my own small way by writing and researching, and by
establishing  the Period Piano Center, which occupies a portion of my shop/store
facility.  I've been researching and writing with intent to publish (The
Early Steinway;  the Chickering), and will present a paper at the AMIS*
Conference in May surveying the serial number books of the five  leading
manufacturers in American history (Steinway, Chickering, Mason and  Hamlin, Knabe and
Baldwin).  This requires travel to DC, Rochester NY,  Trumann AK and Queens
NY, sometimes depending on friends and  colleagues in those areas for
lodging, and squeezing income-earning  activity into a shorter time frame.   The
Steinway study includes a  major emphasis on the objects themselves, so with
the help of Larry  Buck and his great photographic skills, we've documented
many historical  Steinways and have more to do.  If someone conducts a study
assaying  representative historic Steinway hammers we'd want to include
this in our  publication.   We're compiling string scales, action data,
soundboard  data....Have you tossed an early Steinway soundboard?  Did you take
detailed measurements and photographs first?  Did you consider donating it  to
Period Piano Center instead?  (Thanks to those on this list who HAVE
contributed!)  The study includes an anthology of the scales/models,  complete
with sets of representative plan view photographs of the belly top  and bottom
and the action.  Most early Steinways are rebuilt or modified,  it's work
to find original condition Steinways;  We have the same challenge  with
Chickering.  So we're still locating pianos (and sometimes we're  trying to
persuade owners of original-condition pianos that while they're  trying to sell
them for millions, the real value is in the design history  story - may we
please document the piano?  And while the owner  might have no trouble with
having the piano moved,  they often react with horror if we ask for permission
to place  the piano on its side for plan view photographs. So in the
meantime I'm  accepting all photographs and artifacts relating to these pianos
you're willing  to share.

And while  some on this list actively take technical photographs, most of
us don't know how  to set up and photograph an object in order to actually
obtain data from the  photo.  Larry and I have considered offering a class in
how to take high  quality technical photographs, but again, we're not
sponsored until the money  rolls in, so the class hasn't happened, either....

And as for documents....document study is essential, and some of this work
is tedious and expensive.  For example, the manufacturer serial number
books.  The Smithsonian has both Steinway and Chickering books (if you  know
where Chickering book 10,000 to 15,000 is, please arrange for a loan to the
SI so that it can be copied and returned).  But these and others could be
made more available to researchers if the books were digitally  scanned.  The
digital scanning equipment is expensive (possibly $40k) and  skilled human
resources are also required, but if the PTGF were  involved it might also be
a beneficiary, having a digital set of serial  number books on site would be
huge. (Don't forget to visit the museum this year  in KC, and look at the
Krakauer serial number book on exhibit to get an idea of  the incredible
history contained).

OK....I've got some real deadlines....writing and garage  cleaning....wife
is calling from the garage right now....

Needless to say, I have my own collections of all vintages of hammers,
mostly Steinway.  What to do?

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, Mus.
Director, Period Piano Center
PTGF Board Member
CAUT Committee Member
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org/)
_bdshull at aol.com_ (mailto:bdshull at aol.com)

In a message dated 2/20/2011 8:34:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,