[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 22 19:53:57 MST 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:20 AM, David Love wrote:

> One thing I try and think about with concert instruments is that
> they are
> really mini orchestras.
snip
>  When you think about
> the piano that way (and many pianists do) it becomes clear that the
> kind of
> dynamic range required, especially in a performance, has to have broad
> timbre changes and must include that brilliant upper end, full
> spectrum,
> feel it in your chest explosion.

	I think that puts it very well. One thing I might emphasize is that
the need for the brilliant upper end is only partly for an explosive
effect from the whole piano. It is also a necessary element in the
impossibly complex acrobatics of managing to have a number of threads
happening at once, each at its own level, each independent of the
other. Levels of sound, all capable of being heard, each with its own
nuances. This simultaneity can only happen when there is a range of
color, and when one voice needs to emerge very clearly, it needs that
brilliance. This does not mean the whole piano sounds that way at that
time. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors, giving the impression that
something loud is actually soft and similar effects, rendered by
balance, pedal work, etc.  (it is equally important that the low end
of the spectrum be easily available and controllable so as to provide
a setting for the high end).
	A problem I have had in my experiences with cold pressed hammers is
that their tonal range sounds fine up to about forte, with maybe a
little more gradual a gradient up to that point than I would prefer
but acceptable, but then it levels off and doesn't go anywhere - no
more change in color. That fits the comment that Ron N made about
customers saying the piano made them sound better than they were: They
are protected from making harsh and strident sounds at the top of the
spectrum, and because they don't have a lot of control and generally
use too much force, they sound better. But from my perspective as a
demanding pianist, I can't accept that limitation. I absolutely need
the ability to get a sharp accent, for instance, with a minimum amount
of extra exertion. If I have to make it a mammoth amount of extra
exertion, it makes my job impossible (I do play pretty demanding
literature).
	I would point out to you all that serious pianists are far more
dedicated to their art than most people can imagine (I don't mean to
exclude other performing artists in that statement): they say that
10,000 hours makes someone pretty proficient at something. For a
pianist it is more like 40,000, and those aren't mindless repetition
hours, they are focused, filled with constant self-criticism, mental
and physical efforts to make the entire mechanism do impossible
things, and do them easily, consistently and with emotional content.
Hundreds of hours may go into preparation for a given concert (even
more), with all sorts of pianistic possibilities explored during
practice. When an instrument is incapable of producing many of those
possibilities (due to any number of factors, from belly to action set
up to voicing), essentially all that work has gone for nought. Yes,
the notes can be played, and maybe the audience will applaud, even
give a standing ovation, but the feeling of disappointment is pretty
strong. On the other hand, a piano set up with a wide range of colors
easily available under the fingers opens up all sorts of new
possibilities, and is a real joy to perform on.
	But maybe that is just moonshine and nonsense <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm