[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Feb 22 22:45:52 MST 2011

Fred, David, others,

This discussion has greatly aided in my understanding of artists reactions to the various pianos I spoke about. Thanks. It's very complicated indeed, but something I feel driven to better comprehend.

It's interesting how, after reading these many posts, I sat down at the piano and listened with different ears. Conversing with, and listening to some of the fine pianists at BYU perform the last few days has reaped many rewards. As I'm preparing for the final Steinway seminar (concert) I can't think of better preparation than what I've had here.

Thanks to all!
Jim Busby BYU

On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:20 AM, David Love wrote:

>  When you think about
> the piano that way (and many pianists do) it becomes clear that the
> kind of
> dynamic range required, especially in a performance, has to have broad
> timbre changes and must include that brilliant upper end, full
> spectrum,
> feel it in your chest explosion.

<<<< When an instrument is incapable of producing many of those
possibilities (due to any number of factors, from belly to action set
up to voicing), essentially all that work has gone for nought. Yes,
the notes can be played, and maybe the audience will applaud, even
give a standing ovation, but the feeling of disappointment is pretty
strong. On the other hand, a piano set up with a wide range of colors
easily available under the fingers opens up all sorts of new
possibilities, and is a real joy to perform on.
        But maybe that is just moonshine and nonsense <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm >>>>