[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:04:28 MST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:

> Fred
>   Not discounting your opinion but my question remains. Did you hear
> any of them in their classroom setting?  The experience was way
> different and that'smy point.
>    Are you, discounting that?
>    FWIW Honesty works for me.

No, I did not hear them in a classroom. I did play them in the very
early morning when nobody else was around, when it was quiet (I'm
talking 6 am or so).
	You need to realize that I am VERY used to adapting to a tremendously
wide range of piano or other keyboard in a wide range of venue.
Clavichord, harpsichord, fortepiano, Victorian piano, Steingraeber/
Phoenix, you name it. I _loved_ the Cristofori in KC, even though it
was on an acoustically hideous balcony (and I performed mini-concerts
there on the Schimmel, Baldwin, and Fandrich). At conventions I
regularly play pianos in the exhibit hall and then in classrooms. So
while you are welcome to believe that "if only I'd heard it
there . . . ," I am skeptical it would have made much difference.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm