[CAUT] tone color

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 09:16:08 MST 2011

And my guess is that the added stiffness in that whole assembly is what
drove him to have to use a very massive and fairly dense hammer on that
piano such that it needed wippen assist springs (and an 18 mm knuckle
hanging--or was it longer, I don't recall exactly now) to function within
normal range, though I'm talking about the piano I saw in Reno and not in
Rochester--I didn't go to Rochester.  That formula changes the tonal
signature a lot when compared with the RC&S boards that I'm used to where
they are easily driven by an unadulterated Bacon felt hammer.  Those are
important differences in terms of what the piano will produce with respect
to partial development at different levels and the damping effect of a soft
hammer when played hard (an important issue in this discussion).  I don't
think you can separate the hammer from the belly in this respect.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com