[CAUT] tone color

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:42:15 MST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:

> Can  we agree that It sounds like you are as close to your opinions
> as others are to theirs.  Now were all even.  Lets give it a rest.
> Its gettin ugly.
>  FWIW I didn't even know Ron then. As I said earlier. I'm not a fan
> of the Emperors new clothes in any genre of anything  and am quite
> willing to call spades spades.

	I have no particular desire to make things ugly, but there are some
really important practical considerations at stake here. There has
been all sorts of rhetoric about how wonderful various redesign
elements are, how they transform pianos into something exquisite. Then
you have a number of cauts, inspired by this rhetoric, persuading
their departments/schools to put a sizable chuck of money into such an
enterprise. And the result, in a number of cases I know about, is that
the instrument is a disaster from a practical point of view: nobody
will play it. Maybe the tech loves it. But that poor caut is in an
untenable position of having staked his/her reputation, and has to
live with the result. Faculty and students unhappy, money out the
window. A number of them are subscribed to this list, and don't want
to say anything for any number of reasons, embarrassment being one,
desire not to embarrass someone else being a second, avoidance of
controversy being a third, not wanting to making enemies a fourth . . .
	So I insert a discordant note into this conversation for a purpose.
This is the caut list. I think cauts need to have this aired, so they
can make a rational decision on how to spend their limited budgets.
The rhetoric and hype is pretty compelling. The reality? Well, at
best, mixed, at worst, disastrous. As I advised in an earlier post,
look before you leap. Look at real instruments in real venues.
	I'll close by saying I am 100% for pushing the envelope,
experimentation, open minds and ears. From a practical perspective,
though, every day I have to please a large number of pianists.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm