[CAUT] tone color

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Feb 24 13:49:06 MST 2011

Jim,

Would you elaborate on "total lemon"? And how was it that the selection person(s) didn't catch it?

Actually it was 7. Shigeru EX, Hamburg D, Yamaha CF, two stock NY Ds and two rebuilt Ds. (Another rebuilt Bosendorfer could also be chosen, but it is not a 9')

Jim Busby

<<<<

A former faculty member picked our 1972 D from the NY showroom.  Of course it was dressed in its Sunday clothes, but turned out to be a total lemon.

For a pianist, this has been a very fascinating and informative discussion.  Nine concert pianos to choose from?  Quite amazing!  When I was having my very modest concert career I usually had no choice and had to deal with whatever I was given.

As someone who is about to choose pianos for our new facility, I would like to know what the nine pianos are (sorry, I don't remember the school) and how often each is chosen.  (But please don't respond it that take too much time to do!)

The members of this list have very experienced, trained, discriminating ears.  I wonder what percentage of the audience responds to anything other than loud and fast?  Perhaps cynical, but with some truth I think.

Respectfully,

Jim McKeever >>>>