[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 24 14:05:47 MST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:

>  Do acoustic instruments require acoustic environments to really
> shine.

	When it comes to judging the overall voice of the piano, its
projection, etc., yes, a good acoustical environment is needed to get
a full picture, though you can certainly get an idea in a less than
optimal location. When it comes to judging the range of expression and
color available within an instrument, it is not so critical. I confess
I tend to focus more on the latter, especially in situations like
conventions, though I certainly pay attention to projection as well,
to the extent possible.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico