[CAUT] tone color

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Thu Feb 24 15:30:40 MST 2011

At 02:12 PM 2/24/2011, you wrote:
>On 2/24/2011 1:18 PM, Horace Greeley wrote:
>>Welll...of course, it is...OH...WAIT!!!....you were talking about
>>the _pianos_....I thought you meant the pianists that were headed
>>to the glue factory....
>
>Having heard many pianists come through, most of whom were
>shockingly good (compared to their modest/beginning careers) I feel
>for them. So many wonderful musicians, and so many fewer
>opportunities for them. When I think of the hours of slavery they've
>put in ... and when I think of those who put in the same hours, but
>just didn't quite have the chops ...

Right...which is part of the price we pay for living in a meritocracy.

>I don't know an answer to this. A solar event, so all the
>electronics are fused to oblivion, and all music for awhile would
>have to be live?

Sure!  A massive EMP wiping out everything solid-state electronic
over massive portions of the earth's surface.  WooHoo!  I rather
suspect that the ensuing societal collapse would guarantee that most
music heard would be dirges...done acoustically, of course...if
anyone who survived remembered how to recite or sing them.  At least
we could be worried about issues more substantive that the relative
merits of different concepts of piano design.  Where's the switch?

Cheers!

Horace