[CAUT] tone color

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Thu Feb 24 18:54:05 MST 2011

Hi,

I think Doug and Fred are spot on.

You're welcome for the "Blastissimo"...it's not copyrighted...please
feel free to use it whenver.

And, importantly, that really is what sets things up for everything
else we do with "voicing".  If determined properly from the get-go
when voicing, it can save a great deal of trouble later on because
carefully establishing that "top" line  (as above the line
established for most "normal" playing as described by Doug) at the
outset means that you can work your way down in the dynamic range,
all the way to "virtually inaudible" without messing up what you've
done in between.  This is, again as Doug notes, particularly
important voicing the mid- to lower tenor and across in the upper
portions of the bass.  Because of the way most composers have written
for the "left" hand for so long, it tends to have much more in the
way of information-robbing repeated notes and/or noodling going on
which can easily mask anything going on farther up the
scale.  Further, all of these problems are made more complex by what
appears to be the fact that many/most pianists do not have very good
left-hand technique, and often wind up blurring things like scales or
alberti bass lines with the damper pedal.

Doug says something else here that is very important:  "...we are not
responsible for the color...".  Absolutely correct.  We can make
things louder or softer.  We can change the attack and decay envelope
within limits.  But, we cannot, without (at the very least) change
the color of the tone of the instrument.  That it is the player who
makes the difference is demonstrated with exceptional clarity on the
CD released after the 1988 Steinway celebration of the 500,000th piano.

The final piece on that concert was Schumann's Carnaval.  It was
performed on two Ds, toe-ed to each other, with different artists
walking out from either side of the stage to pick up whatever
movement they were to play.  While the recording itself isn't of the
highest quality, it is good enough to clearly discern not only that
there are two pianos in use, but that multiple artists are
performing.  As it happens, I was in the audience that night at
Carnegie Hall; and can relate that, even though the differences are
clearly audible on the CD, they were positively astounding in situ
during the performance.

The recording has been out of print for a while, but still seems to
be available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Steinway-Celebration-Sergei-Rachmaninoff/dp/B000EWX90C

OK...back to work.

Best.