[CAUT] [SPAM]Re: tone color

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 08:14:04 MST 2011

Those are all very valid considerations.  I wasn't really trying to address
the practical side of this.  Swapping out hammers is not always reasonable
in an institutional setting for a variety of reasons, as you mentioned, and
there can be some resistance to working outside the box.  In this particular
case we've already stepped well outside the box so understanding just
exactly what's happening here is important.  It may well be the case that
changing the hammer in this situation will not do the job and could, in
fact, make things worse.  If the redesign project was conceived of well in
terms of figuring out a good hammer/belly/scale match then that may be the
best palette for that instrument.  But it may fall short of what you were
after and you still might be able to alter it some to get more what you want
by a different hammer or different voicing technique.

Working with aftermarket parts is tricky in these situations depending on
the attitude of the institution.  But then I think of those god awful
hammers that Steinway was producing in the 1990's, those big fat fluffy
cotton balls, and then sometimes as the technician you just have to trust
your knowledge and instincts and take a risk to put on what you think will
produce the best outcome.  Odds are, in many situations, the reason you're
there in the first place is because you developed enough of a reputation by
virtue of exercising your own judgment so why stop now.  To suddenly back
away from that out of fear of offending some who might operate under the
false belief that, say, manufacturers parts are the only way to get the best
outcome, will probably diminish your work and, who knows, you might find
yourself out the door anyway.  As my old friend from Texas used to always
say when we were out and about, "may as well get shot a sheep as a lamb".
Of course, he was referring to something else altogether but I won't go
there.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

>Apologies, thinking out loud here and have developed two lines of thought
>which have now converged.  First, color is to some degree voicer dependent,
>I believe.  Second, the specific interaction between scale, soundboard and
>hammer will determine the potential in the palette.  Third, the hammer is
>the only thing that we can change (at this point) and it may or may not be
>the right consistency given our specific goals.  Fourth, if we can change
it
>by voicing or selecting a different hammer we can salvage things and create
>a better design match.  Fifth, if the belly/scale design is not tolerant of
>the hammer consistency needed to achieve the palette we're after we are up
>creek.

This is all spot on.

The main concern that I continue have in all of these discussions is
that, setting aside for the moment all other considerations, it
simply isn't always possible, let alone reasonable, to swap out
hammers on a given instrument.  While I've done so hundreds of times,
there have also been hundreds of times when the only option was to
work with what was there.  It's pretty clear from the comments that
have come up on this (and other) lists whenever these topics come up
that a number of other technicians have had and/or are having the
same experience.

Someone, I think it was Brent, noted that as people affiliated with
institutional work (in whatever way that might be), in accepting that
kind of work we take on a fiduciary responsibility to the institution
to, insofar as we reasonably can, leave the inventory in better shape
than we found it.  From the standpoint of institutional management
(which is very different from that of the artist/technician), part of
that means that the perceived fungible value of the inventory does
not decrease anymore than is absolutely necessary; and, highly
preferable, that it increases.  Obviously, there is (at least) a
potential conflict of interest between these two positions.

FWIW, and acknowledging that opinions will vary wildly on this, I
have direct knowledge of one situation at a major university in which
the specific issue of using non-S&S hammers on S&S pianos not only
cost the incumbent technician their job; but, far more importantly
(due to the impact on the instructional program of the school), the
piano shop was taken away, parts for repair and/or replacement had to
be justified and ordered on a per-instrument basis for several years,
and there was no budget for sub-contracting any of the
work...everything that was done had to be done "in house" and on the
clock...hard to do with over 400 programs to tune for each
semester.  Eventually, everyone seems to have recovered, and the
school is now on the road to becoming and "All Steinway" school; but
there were a number of years before that recovery was possible to
begin to implement.

My point in all of this is not that redesign and rebuilding along
differing lines should not be encouraged, supported and
developed...not at all.  Of course it should, otherwise piano design
and construction will remain firmly rotting in the 19th
Century.  However, if the only answer is to rethink and redesign
every problem piano, then the vast majority of people who engage in
institutional work stand to lose out on the kind of help and support
they need to increase their own skills while providing improved
support for the inventory for which they are responsible.

Most places simply do not have the budget or bandwidth to contemplate
very much in the way of minor repairs, let alone major
reconstruction.  Technicians often have to simply make do with
whatever crumbs are left over from a table that is increasingly
ill-supplied.  It doesn't matter that this is right or wrong.  What
matters is that it is what it is; and the question is how we can all
be of the most help to each other.

>It's late.

Indeed.

Best.