[CAUT] tone color

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 25 14:00:55 MST 2011

Thanks, Fred. Very enlightening. I'd like to comment that clarity/
focus, at least as I experience it, is VERY sensitive to hammer shape.
Narrower contact area is better, but limited by the structure of the
hammer. (Too pointed a top leaves "cut layers" to fall apart rather
quickly during playing. Too broad gets muddy rather quickly.) And I
agree totally that the travel/burn-in/fitting makes a huge difference.
I've had more than a few occasions where a basically good piano that
is basically well-prepared has been quite unsatisfactory because final
fitting ("open strings") was so erratic.

We really can get the "big bucks" for being compulsive in some areas. !

Doug