[CAUT] Steinway sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 28 08:28:59 MST 2011

Richard-

I understand that Helmut Abel (father & founder of Abel Co.) has a reference
collection of hammers that go back to the late 18th century. He offers a
well-established hammer recovering service. He recovered a set of 1870's
Boesendorfer hammers for me, and also a set of 1880's Mathushek hammers. I
was pleased with the results, but of course never heard those pianos when
they were new. Neither of these pianos are expected to do heavy-duty stage
work, they are parlor instruments.
You might consider a set of light Abel Natural hammers for your experiment.
I have been happy with them in S & S M's.

Ed S.