[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 7 08:58:15 MST 2011

Dear Professor McKeever,

Although it is probably impossible to predict and quantify damage from the
one incident you mention, and most pianos have tolerated a few such
incidents now and then, we can certainly confirm that regular extreme
humidity shifts will produce many problems in maintenance and eventually
degrade the performance quality as well as shortening the service life of
the pianos. Imagine the situations in colleges which are turning off HVAC
systems on the weekends to save money.

Perhaps the most valuable use of this incident would be to gain the ear of
your school management and convince them to install on-site monitoring and
to enforce consistent climate control in the music building, something that
all musicians will appreciate.

Ed Sutton