[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Fri Jan 7 18:49:39 MST 2011

Hi, Susan,

At 05:41 PM 1/7/2011, you wrote:
>Hi, Horace
>
>So really what they were dipped in was wax solid at room temperature,
>instead of what we'd usually call mineral oil, with the addition of a
>little bit of whale oil in the last stage of manufacture?

Basically, yes.

>Was the hot wax dip done before the bushings were put in, and the whale
>oil after?

Look at it from a manufacturing standpoint...only the flanges were
dipped...so, there weren't any bushings.  As noted, whale oil came
very late in the process.

>Do you think that various lubricants added later in the field worsen the
>situation? I remember a piano in Stockton, which I tried to keep
>going till the
>owner could afford new parts (after moving to Hawaii .. given the cost
>of moving to Hawaii, one sees a certain order in her priorities.)

 From what I've seen so far, while lubricants _may_ ameliorate some
of the issues, it's basically putting a cover over something that
needs to be buried.

>I used the "zapper" to get the thing moving again -- it was pretty well
>stationary, and a dark walnut brown. Oily substance bubbled and sizzled out
>of the flanges.

Yup...and, would continue to until the wood is thoroughly dried out
or catches fire.

>I presume this was almost certainly a mixture of lubricants added at various
>times in attempts to keep the piano working.

That's my impression.

>If only the wippen support flanges and the hammer flanges were dipped, then
>presumably if the paraffin worsened the verdigris, the other two center pins
>in the action (and those in the back action, too) would have been relatively
>free of it, unless the piano was "tropicalized"?

Usually; although, at that point, we also get into the question of
what role the lanolin in the cloth bushing may have had in
interacting with the brass of the center pin...

>I remember seeing a Packard upright from the deep south. It was a mess, from
>various attempts to deal with sluggish hammers -- repeated lubrication turning
>everything to gum till the hammers stood in air, and then someone doused it
>with alcohol, causing the leathers to shrink and warp and turn to rocks. But
>the other centers were perfectly all right, which led me to think that this
>was "tuner damage."

Precisely.

That said, I think that almost all of us have instruments out there
of which we are (at the very least) less than proud.  I've got some
real stinkers I'd like to have back, if for no other reason than to
set fire to them.  What matters, I think, is what we learn from a
given situation and how we incorporate whatever that learning might
be into our future work and understanding.

Best.

Horace