[CAUT] Humidity (HVAC codes)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:51:46 MST 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> 	It would take an enormous output of moisture to counteract having
> the entire volume of air in a room replaced at the standard rate,
> which I think is as high as three times an hour. Does somebody know?
> My memory is not clear on that, but I remember being astonished when
> I first came upon the figure many years ago.

	I did some extensive research <G> (looked at HVAC and some related
articles in wikipedia) and found that, first, wiki has great info on
these systems. Bottom line for air exchange rate seems to be 3 - 6
times per hour for classrooms. They acknowledge that 100% of the air
doesn't get exchanged due to air flow and the shape of the room, and
expect something like 2/3 to be exchanged actually each time there is
a theoretical complete change. In any case, the air is always moving,
in and out, faster than you think (assuming the system is working). I
also found that ASHRAE has a committee dedicated to humidity issues,
and that it met here in Albuquerque last summer.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain