[CAUT] What the.....?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 18 09:46:11 MST 2011

However, too much negative bearing can result in nearly complete lack
of coupling, especially if the angle of the string between the pins is
minimal. One of the things a wire between the bridge and the string
will do is increase the coupling to the bridge pins by increasing the
side draft. In the photo, a fairly extreme case, the strings are all
up on the bridge pins and not touching the wood at all. But setting
aside DB, something that creates enough side bearing between the pins
(if there wasn't enough already), and gets away from a condition where
there is a very small gap between the string and the wood, leading to
the string hitting the wood and moving away, may well improve the tone.
	But I suspect Del is right: the photo is probably somebody who wanted
to increase DB on the "theoretical" grounds that "if some is good,
more is better," like a number of "rebuilders" who always lowered
plates, "re-crowned" soundboards and the like.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu