[CAUT] test blow jig

John Minor jminor at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 18 13:28:41 MST 2011

Ed,

I've NO intention of messing about in the tuning exams rooms....been
there, done that!

I'm doing some research into quantifiable tonal changes on a given piano
note using MATLAB technical computing software along with code written
by a physics department grad student that does some very thorough
harmonic analysis of WAV format files for harmonic content info and
decay-time info of each harmonic.

I'm attaching 2 preliminary Word documents with a simple comparison of a
notes on a Steinway B which had a treble tone resonator installed by
some of our chapter members as an experiment.

I'm interesting in taking some measurements of some simple voicing
techniques, as well as re-pinning loose center pins to take a closer
look at what's happening harmonically with these changes.

The jury is still out on the improvements made by the installation of
the treble tone resonator, and our methods are by no means flawless, but
it looks positive so far.

John Minor

:If you are giving an official exam, you need to get the official thumper.
:
:If you want something to approximate the exam test blow, get a piece of
3/8" steel rod, 12" long, and a piece 5/8" inner diameter pvc pipe :18"
long. Glue some cloth punchings on the end of the rod to protect the
keytops.
:With this you can control and drop a half pound weight 6 inches for a
test blow.
:
:Repeat: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL THUMPER, but it will give you a good
estimate of a test blow for training purposes and self-testing.
:
:Ed Sutton