[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 18 19:18:37 MST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 4:59 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>> That was my understanding, but I've been wrong plenty of times
>> before,
>> and may be misinformed. I know the one I sent the photo of was
>> patented,
>> and looks to me to be close enough to the Phoenix to qualify as prior
>> art. Closer, in fact, than to the Stuart version.
>
> There it is. Just had to find it on the backup drive.
> Ron N
> <P_PIANO_AXBAFFE.pdf>

Very interesting, thanks for posting it. Obviously it covers most of
the design features of the Phoenix version (it is not as much like the
Stuart). It is also interesting in that it proposes the invention as a
less expensive and just as good system for terminating string lengths
and coupling to the bridge. IOW, it was sold as a production element
rather than a tone enhancement.
	As to whether the bridge agraffe "enhances" tone, that can be in the
ear of the listener, but it seems clear that it changes the envelope,
increases sustain. Whether or not that is desirable may depend on
taste and situation, but I am happy to have another option available
out there (or at least potentially available: the marketing folks
don't seem to have done much about it so far).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm