[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 18 21:41:29 MST 2011

Here is what I wrote to this list very soon after the Grand Rapids
convention (bold added):
	But the Phoenix System bridge termination/coupling system was the
real eye opener. They had four grand pianos set up. One was a 5'8" (or
so) Steingraeber with carbon board and Phoenix bridge. Next to it an
identical piano, but with spruce board, Next to it a Steingraber
concert grand in traditional setup (standard pinned bridge). And
finally a rebuilt Baldwin, with the terminators going up to near the
top of octave 5, standard pinned bridge above. So you could tell what
difference it made very obviously.
	My verdict? Wow! Wapin on steroids. Sustain and clarity. And lots of
"side effects" that go along with losing those bridge pins (like all
the complaints we constantly make about them, from noises to dirty
termination to false beats to tuning issues).

My memory hasn't changed from what I wrote then. Though I am not sure
from what I wrote compared to what I remember exactly how much of the
lower bridge (into the tenor) might have been retrofit. Maybe they did
the whole tenor section. In any case, they did not do the top two
octaves of the treble bridge. And that portion clearly had far less
sustain than octave 5, that had been retrofit.
Fred