[CAUT] adequate, ultimate and optimal

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Wed Jan 19 17:39:45 MST 2011

I don't think 'adequate' is quite the right word, unless it applies equally
to Strads. The best pianos of Mozart's and Beethoven's day are as perfectly
suited to their intended repertoires and performance techniques as any
instruments ever have been; they're as refined in their way as any superior
piano of today. No instrument is 'ultimate,' and 'optimal' depends on what's
required of it.
Laurence