[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jan 20 20:02:59 MST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> I don't know why you're so determined to keep pounding on "cheap".
> If they cost $50K each, and were made from hand polished titanium,
> the termination would still be whatever was chosen as an insert, and
> it would still be held down by a screw. I really don't see where
> cheap is so detrimental, or even a factor. As you said above, the
> stamped part isn't that important from a tonal point of view, and
> there's no reason for a cheap stamped part to be necessarily non-
> functional, or even inferior.
> Ron N

	I am only saying that when they were used originally, the purpose was
often to save money. Meaning that the manufacturers using it were
likely to be cutting other corners as well. Not all of them, perhaps,
but at least some that we seem to run across. All of which served to
give the device a less than stellar reputation. Kind of like the
reputation plastic parts got because of elbows.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain