[CAUT] New suggestions for practice room pianos

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 14:15:15 MST 2011

The pendulum may be ponderous but at least it is being ....pondered?  And at least the discussion has reached places formerly untouchable....factories....

I know that the pianos Frank Emerson is working on are also modifying there hammer making techniques to something less densified.
  The pendulum swings.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration
Ronsen Piano hammers
Join the Weickert felt Revolution
209-577-8397
209-985-0990

As is Young Chang. Most—if not all—Young Chang hammer presses have now been converted to a modified “cold-press” process. The temperatures surrounding the top half of the hammer are maintained to something below the glass transition point of wool.

(Much to the dismay, I might add, of certain factory voicers who seem to be of the opinion that unless the hammer is hard enough to break strings on impact it’s not hard enough. The pendulum is swinging but it’s a large and ponderous pendulum!)

ddf
--
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication