[CAUT] Essex upright pianos?

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Thu Jan 27 12:10:52 MST 2011

Can anyone comment on the quality/durability of the Essex upright
pianos? (on list or privately)

I've only had a brief one-time look in a dealer's showroom. Expecting
these to be merely/re-branded /Asian pianos, I was pleasantly surprised.
All details of prep, tuning and regulation aside, and attempting to
"listen through the voicing," I thought the mid-treble area was notably
unique and quite musical, better than expected. So, I heard some musical
possibilities here (and in the 5'1" grand), and am just wondering if
anyone else feels the same?

Also wonder if there are any service issues worth mentioning, and if
these pianos came as part of an all Steinway purchase... how you feel
about their place in your inventory?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University